Monday, July 2, 2012

A little more about myself and music

One thing that I truly pride myself in is my open mind when it comes to music. Obviously there are several genres and sub genres, and new wave music being produced every day. Some people are very set in their ways and do not enjoy listening outside of their preferred genre. On the contrary, I have quite a large range when it comes to the music I enjoy.

As I have stated before in this blog, my favorite genre is 90's rock music, also referred to as Grunge. But, if I were to give you a list of my favorite artists, only a few would fall into that genre. One of my favorite artists of all time is Marshall Mathers, better known by his stage name "Eminem." This comes to a surprise to most of my friends, but to me it makes perfect sense. I am lucky enough to say I have seen Eminem perform live in concert. I say I am lucky because, for those of you who know anything about Eminem, he hasn't toured in almost an entire decade. I saw him at a rare appearance concert last year in Chicago at the music festival Lollapalooza. He was headlining the tour, and when I found out I bought my ticket immediately.

Other genres I enjoy are classical rock and 80's rock, mainly influenced by my parents' taste in music, and alternative rock, which is practically all I listened to in High School. Some days I am in the mood for a particular genre, and some genres help me through different situations.

The diversity of music I like allows me to remain open minded for future genres and appreciate all types of music as a whole. I think this is extremely important if I am ever going to open a record store. I want to be able to recommend music to all of my customers, not just ones with a similar musical taste as myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment