Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Drummers

I bet at least once in your life you have thought about what it would be like to be in a band, or even wanted to start your own. For someone who loves music as much as I do, you might think I have some kind of musical talent, but alas I have nothing. I cannot sing or play any instrument. I suppose I would be okay at writing song lyrics, but composing a melody is beyond me. Therefore I doubt I would ever start a band.

However, I have often fantasized of being in a band. Maybe not necessarily starting my own, but when I go see bands that I admire live, it's hard not to put yourself in their shoes - to feel what they feel when they perform in front of sold out crowds, to hear their lyrics being sung by thousands.

If I were able to play any instrument at all, it would be drums. The drummer in most bands barely receive enough credit, and are often times the one audiences forget. But for some reason, when I see a band live, my attention gets drawn into the drummer. They always have so much energy and are really the stabilizing sound.

One of my favorite drummers is Dave Grohl. He doesn't perform as a drummer too much anymore because he is the lead guitarist and singer of the Foo Fighters, but when he drums he makes the audience feel alive. I love watching videos of his past performances and even got to see him play a special drum set last year. Maybe one day I'll pick up some drum sticks and learn a thing or two, but until then I'll just keep browsing youtube videos and dreaming on.

No comments:

Post a Comment