Fika - A Swedish verb (or sometimes noun) a verb, meaning "to get together and drink coffee". Pronounced "fee-ka".
When I first arrived in Uppsala, Sweden, I was immediately greeted by a few of my corridor mates having a "fika" in our kitchen. However, I was worn out from my 9 hour flight and wanted to set up my room and hit the sheets. As the week progressed, I saw the word "fika" in coffee shops all over town, or would hear it in passing conversations.
During my first day of class, my professor lectured for 45 minutes before announcing that it was time for a fika break. There was that word again! I decided to ask him what fika actually was, though I had had my assumptions. He clarified my assumptions and told me that it was a cultural thing that Swedish people partake in on a daily basis. Clearly it was a big enough deal that we were even let out of class for it. In fact, all of my classes the entire year allotted a time for a fika break. I think Illinois State University should join in on the act.
Ever since then, I have adopted the tradition to my own life. At home, after every meal, I have a fika. I sit and drink a cup of coffee or enjoy a danish and do not much of anything else. It is a truly relaxing experience and a great way to take a few personal minutes during a hectic day. It is also a great way to catch up with friends and forget the worries of everyday life.
No comments:
Post a Comment